Thursday, September 14, 2017

Cecil Vs. The Plastic He Ate

Last Friday, after his stay at the vet, two x-rays and two enemas, Cecil was discharged. He was eating small amounts and had not vomited since being admitted. After we got home he pooped! We were so excited and felt relieved we were out of the woods.

Saturday, while I was at work, he vomited a couple times, but was still interacting and interested in food, although not as much as normal. Sunday he was worse. He slept all day, did not eat, and vomited again. Monday I took him into the vet, where I had to decide if I wanted to euthanize an otherwise healthy 10 month old kitten or if I wanted to go ahead with exploratory surgery, which, if you're a pet parent, you know these things come with quite a price tag.

I called my husband and we decided to go ahead with the surgery.

After another two day and night stay at the vet yesterday after work I went to pick him up. He is eating and healthy and recovering well. We, and the team at our vet clinic, are very pleased with how well he is doing.

During the surgery they found that it wasn't the foam he had eaten that was causing the issue, but quite a large (compared to the size of Cecil's innards) piece of plastic. It had perforated a hole in his intestines. Thankfully they were successful in removing the plastic, as well as about an inch of his intestines, and put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Cecil's home for the next 10 days

The plastic he ate. Toonie for size comparison.

There hasn't been much knitting going on, but I do have to get my butt into gear and get started on some xmas presents soon. 

I'll keep you posted. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment