Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Wednesday Writing Prompt

Writing prompt from Mama's Losin' It! -- 10 things you would do if you didn't have to work.


  1. Clean my house better. I used to be a stay-at-home-mom and even with three kids and a gaggle of pets my house was clean. People could come in at any time and I'd be okay with it because my house was tidy, aside from maybe a few kid toys. Now that I'm working full time my house is not nearly as clean and tidy as I'd like it to be. Right now there are baskets of unfolded laundry staring at me from across the room. If I didn't have to work they'd already be folded and put away.
  2. Exercise more. I have a whole new level of respect for working parents who actually find time to go for a run on a regular basis. 
  3. Bake. Like cookies, banana bread and more delicious shit like that.
  4. Volunteer at an animal shelter or the food bank. 
  5. Knit more. My knitting life consists of maybe an hour a week. I'm either too tired or too busy doing something else to do much knitting.
  6. Visit friends and family more often. Even with two days off a week I find it hard to make time to visit (or even call) people. On my days off I'm doing housework, renovation projects and spending time with my kids (and sometimes I spend the time doing nothing at all). I find it really difficult to muster any sort of energy to actually be social.
  7. Take more walks with my dogs. 
  8. A real struggle of working full time is making enough time with my husband. He leaves in the morning while I'm still in bed and gets home well after me on most days, except those in which I work until 9pm. When we are together it's dinner making, house cleaning, project doing, kid related. Alone time is unheard of. I've tried getting up at the same time as him in the mornings to spend more time together, but he is up at 5am and leaves at 5:30am. I just create chaos in his routine. I really should, even while I'm working, dedicate more time to him, and it's hard, but if I didn't work I would be able to make time more easily.
  9. Write more! Sort of ironic I'm getting back into these writing prompts now, but if I didn't have to work I could finally make time to write that novel I've been thinking about or do a few freelance writing gigs for fun.
  10. Take a vacation. My work routine does not mesh with a life of taking any sort of extended vacation. Yes I get two weeks of holidays a year, but those are usually spent taking time to see family and friends and getting caught up on household stuff that has been put off due to lack of time. 

1 comment: