Monday, August 13, 2018

Pets in the Wilderness

Anyone who knows me at all - even in the slightest - knows I love squirrels. Red squirrels, black squirrels, grey squirrels, big fat fluffy squirrels. They are adorable. Their antics are hilarious. If I could hug them and pet them all I would.

At home I sprinkle peanuts under the bird feeder and on the front porch; I put out bits of fruit for them as well. At the trailer, however, we don't want to encourage them to come too near the trailer, so to my dismay, Michael put his foot down and said we will not be inviting them into our area.

We were at the local Farmer's Market on Saturday, shopping at my favourite turkey shoppe (they are amazing and have turkey sausage that cater to my allergies). Right by the exit, for as long as I can remember, there has been a man who does wood working. He builds bird feeders and houses and other cutesy garden things. On this day, we spotted something new, something different, something exciting ... a squirrel feeder!

To my absolute joy Michael decided right then and there that I needed to have this for at the trailer. We'll put it on a post a little ways off the deck, but I'll be able to watch them eat.

You see, they climb up the pole and into the jar and sit and eat. The woodworking man lives out in the country and tests each and every one of his designs. I imagine his property is covered with adorable little feeders, houses and whimsies! He assured me the squirrels do not get stuck. He did say, however, it can take a few days for them to realise what this is and how they get their food from it. It's okay though, I have patience.


There is a lid currently on the jar, that comes off.
The plain wood colour is nice for some people, but not for me. I wanted something a little prettier and a little more campy, so today I made my way to the Home Depot and picked out some stain.


Once it dries I will put the jar back in and take a better picture. I did wear gloves for the staining process, but I always manage to make a mess of myself.


At least it matches my nails ...

No comments:

Post a Comment