Friday, July 27, 2018

Sign Me Up

I don't know if you have ever been to a trailer park, but if you have been you'll know that everyone has some sort of cute or quirky sign that reflects their personality, or their family's personality (as a whole). I grew up in a trailer park (visiting) every summer and I loved walking around looking at and reading signs and laughing (or when I was quite young not understanding the humour, but realising as I got older how funny they actually were).

When we bought our first trailer a decade ago I started dreaming of having our own quirky family sign, but since we always traveled with our trailer and didn't have a permanent home for it, a sign never came into fruition.

Well now, as my excitement bubbles, my creativity flows. I have designed our family the perfect sign for our trailer sight.

Here's my sketch (this is the final sketch of about 15) and though it was my favourite there have been some changes made once I started putting pencil to wood.


While I'm sure you recognize most of the destinations on most of the directional arrows, I'm not sure (maybe I mentioned it) if you will recognize what destination "M4" is. Well, that's our trailer lot number. The arrows won't all be flat on the front of the post, they'll be pointing this-a-way and that-a-way. It's whimsical, nerdy, and in my ever so bias opinion, really freaking cool.

Tatooine points up because, well, Tatooine is in space. Wonderland points down, because Alice falls in a hole and tumbles into the Earth to get there.

I tried to make each of my arrows reflective of the character of the book or movie. The fonts will be done in official book/movie fonts for each of them as well.

You can't see it but under all those papers I have sketched out my arrows. On Sunday we (Michael and I) are going to cut them out and then I'll get to sanding to make them look a little more rustic than fresh cut wood. After that it will be time for staining and then paint for the lettering; the latter of which will be the most difficult I'm sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment