Monday, February 17, 2014

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Good morning and Happy Family Day! Today is also the start of Tim Horton's annual Roll up the Rim to Win. If you're anything like me you rolled the r's in roll and rim. I don't drink Timmies coffee often, but when I do and it's Roll up the Rim time it's very likely I will win a donut (which I won't eat).

Dozer says "yawn, stretch"
A Photo A Day #47

So I won! I finished my Ravellenic Winter Games knit, ahead of schedule. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I got it finished, but I'm sort of disappointed too, because now I feel kind of naked and need to find a new project to cast on ... naked and idle. Never a good thing for a knitter.

It's finished!
A Photo A Day #48

I used four skeins of Wandering Cat Yarns Big Cat. The colour is a custom order called Sprout. The pictures don't do the colour justice. Maybe later I will get ambitious and go outside (in the freezing cold - 16C temps) to see if I can get a better picture of the colour.

The big picture. :)

Finished dimensions are 38" x 30" so it's a really good sized blanket. The pattern called for 158 stitches to be cast on and to use 5mm needles, but I cast on 122 stitches and used 5.5mm needles. I think the 5.5mm needles worked well with the yarn. I love how it turned out. There were variations in the skeins, two skiens were brighter and two were slightly darker. I started with the brighter one, did two darker ones and ended with the final brighter one. It gives it sort of a gradual look. I had thought about switching skiens every two rows to make it blend better but, honestly, couldn't be bothered. The difference in the yarns is so slight.

Waffle Blanket - Ta Da!

I think I may have to make another one of these ... perhaps a larger one for myself. I'm thinking 8 skeins of Big Cat would do it ... Hmmm.  Maybe a colour graduation from cream to dark blue or oooh crimson and back to cream again.  Hmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! That's a great stitch pattern.

    I vote for cream to blue --- sounds very relaxing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blanket looks gorgeous... and it sounds like I may be doing some custom dyeing in the future.....

    ReplyDelete