Monday, January 7, 2013

FOs and a Run

Happy Monday! The kids are back in school today and schedules are back to normal. I love having my kids home, but I function so much better with a set schedule than I do when things are sort of random. Dinner times and all that stuff were the same when they were home, but running and workout times were disorganized. It's hard to keep motivated when it's like that -- at least for me anyway.

To mark the return of a schedule I started the week off right with a LSD (long slow distance) run with my running partner Jenny. We'd been slacking a bit over the holiday season, so rather than bump ourselves up to the 14km mark (where we would have been before Christmas) we brought ourselves back to 10km and will build up from there. It was a good run and our pace was right on target. :)

Oh man, was it cold outside though. Brrr. Not once we got moving, but until we got warmed up. It was -7°C when we headed out. We hit the trails and roads, and managed to find a lot of places where the roads, sidewalks and paths were clear of snow and ice. I'm looking forward to next week. It's supposed to be warmer. Yay! :)

My knitting mojo has not quite returned, but I did manage to get a couple small things knit. Just a couple of hats, but at least my fingers are happily moving along rather than twiddling and feeling twitchy.

My new toque!
I knit a beanie toque for myself. I needed a new one. This isn't the greatest picture, but it was hard to get a good shot of my own head with my phone. I did 8 rows of grey, 2 rows of purple all the way up in a 2x2 rib.  I used leftover Patons Decor Grey Heather from E's sweater and some old red heart silky stuff for the accent colour. *edit* L saw my toque and asked so sweetly if she could have it. I said yes. After all it does nearly match her mittens.

My first knit of 2013!!!
I know three? pregnant women right now and a few couples who are hoping to get pregnant very soon, so I'm stocking up on baby knits. I've got another one on the needles now in a different colour. The pattern is Bevs Baby Ribs Hat and it's my absolute favourite newborn baby hat to knit. They fit newborns wonderfully and don't slip off. :)

Have a good one folks!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd have the courage to run outside at that temperature! Wow!

    The hat looks great! I'm sure your ears will appreciate it on your next run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad once you warm up. I have a half marathon on March 3rd (and an 8km race on Jan 27th) so I need all the cold weather practice I can get. I have a hat specifically for running ... and my daughter stole the grey and purple one. LOL

      Delete
  2. Hats are a great way to rev the knitting engines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do! :) I've got a couple more in the queue.

      Delete