Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Mmmm Chocolate

Ever since we got our beloved Dozer we knew we would be adding another labradorable addition to our family. We had hoped to do it last year but the timing wasn't right -- M was changing jobs, life was all kafuffled -- but now! Now the timing is right. Also M told me if I signed up for a half marathon we would definitely get a puppy (a nice bribe on his part, but I was planning to run one anyway) ... My first half is March 3rd, my second is May 5th. I think I've about covered it.

We have been in contact with Dozer's breeder for about 5 months about getting another pup and we've been waiting and waiting and waiting. They bred Dozer's dam to Dozer's sire in early September and oh how we were excited! An exact sibling to the best ever dog on the planet. At first they thought she was pregnant, but then her symptoms disappeared. It was a false pregnancy. They had emailed us to let us know and also let us know they intended to breed another one of their bitches -- who is actually Dozer's sister -- a very sweet girl indeed. We let them know we wanted a female puppy in either black or chocolate.

Yesterday I got a phone call from the breeder.

He started off with "I've got you on our list for wanting another labrador retriever puppy ..." and I said "yes, that's right." Then he says "Well unfortunately ..." and then he pauses ... "well, it's fortunately, but unfortunately ... maybe ..."

Now I'm thinking there are no puppies but he's going to put me back on the list!

He continues "We had a litter of pups on January 2nd, chocolates, blacks and yellows, but ..." another epic pause. "they're all males."

Is that all?

Males?

That's great, perfect, more than perfect! It's a BOY!!!

I was so relieved and let him know that we still want a puppy, that we are looking for another family companion and that gender isn't our priority. There are four chocolate pups, three yellow pups and three black pups.

We are getting a chocolate pup. YAY! We requested the darkest chocolate puppy, but that is subject to change should the darkest puppy have a personality that doesn't mesh with our family of five plus Dozer. Dozer gets along with everybody so I doubt it's going to be an issue at all in that regard.

An adorable pile of  boy puppies.

We think the guy on top here is our pup.

All ten pups.
We get to meet the pup later this month and I'm planning to take loads of pictures, so be prepared to get bombarded with cuteness. He doesn't have a name yet, but we're working on it. Dozer's full (registered) name is Dozer Dreams, so I'm thinking we'll go with something equally calm sounding.

Now back to knitting!

5 comments:

  1. Ten pups and they were ALL boys??? Wow! They sure are cute! Congrats on your new family addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We're so excited. :) Yup, all ten puppies are male. Too funny.

      Delete
  2. I think Dozer is going to love having a brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. Although I am sad to say I am petted out. We have the dog, three cats(one who is a lot of extra work) and the bunny. I do all the care. So I do not enjoy pets like I use too. Charging Porscha ten dollars to clean the bunny cage helped a bit......I should not even be doing it....she signed a contract damn it lol And John doesn't do animas well. Wants another pup but doesn't do anything. I learned my lesson with Max. John lied lol he said he'd help. Not. lol

    ReplyDelete