Thursday, January 31, 2013

Support

On Sunday January 27th I ran my first race of the 2013 season. It was the Robbie Burns 8km run in Burlington. It was a fabulous experience and I hope to do it again in 2014.

My favourite part of the whole thing (aside from finishing) was my support team. Jenny, my running partner, and I had just hit the two kilometer mark when we noticed pulling up beside us a white Chevy Tahoe blaring "Eye of the Tiger" ... My support team!! Michael and the kids!! YAY!! I really needed the boost at that point too. I've been suffering from ITBS and wasn't sure how much further I'd be able to go.

Rising up, straight to the top - Had the guts, got the gloryWent the distance now I'm not gonna stop

After taking a few pictures of us running along side of them they drove off. We didn't know where they were headed, but figured they would head back to the finish/start line to wait for us.

Gab gab gab gab ... chatter chatter ... talk.

Jenny and I kept running along, chatting, keeping a good pace and, to our surprise, found the cheer squad a little ways up. I wish I had my camera with me to take pictures of them along the route too.


Just keep running

They followed (ahead of us) for the entire race. Michael took over 300 photos. At one turn in the route he and the kids were standing on the sidewalk. I didn't see where the truck was parked, but I heard their cheers and looked over to see my three little lovelies jumping up and down shouting "GO MOM GO!!"

Heading up a hill.
The Burlington PD were amazing with traffic along the route. I've been in a few races where they stop the runners to allow for traffic, but not here. The traffic had to wait for us. It was great!!

I had never, in my life, been so happy to see a finish line. The ITBS was seizing my leg and I know I should have stopped running, but it was a race damnit!! Yes yes, I'm seeing my doctor and a certified sports injury therapist. No worries. :)

A strong finish!
In a time of 57:51 and a pace of 7:21 Jenny and I crossed the finish line. Our gun time was 58:43 which means it took us nearly a minute to cross the start line at the beginning of the race. There were a lot of people.

I found out afterwards that Michael and the kids had to sprint to the finish line in order to make it there on time. They didn't think they would catch us crossing, but they did.


Big hugs for Mom! 

Jenny and I -- Still smilin'!

Next stop is the Chilly Half Marathon in Burlington. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed my ITBS is significantly better by then. I'd hate to be a DNF for my first half marathon.

Thanks so much to my support crew and to Jenny for being an elemental running buddy. Gold star!!

My family is awesome.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'll be there for your Chilly half!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock!!!! I love reading your running adventures. You inspire me to jeep running xx Cheers to you and Jenny!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alisha! Maybe one day soon you'll be able to join us at a running event. :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! You look great. Hope the ITBS clears up --- but, I'm afraid I don't know what ITBS is.

    ReplyDelete