Sunday, January 26, 2014

Robbie Burns 8km 2014

Today was the annual Robbie Burns 8km race in Burlington Ontario. Jenny (BRF) and I were ready to go, bright and early ... as was my best girl Valerie, who woke up extra early, on a weekend, to come watch my rugrats for me. Thanks again Valerie. :)

I started out my morning a little earlier than most, but like all other mornings I had a quick conversation with my husband, via text message. I felt so bad for him. He's been really sick with a cold these last few days and he's at work in Saskatchewan so there was nothing I could do to help him. Poor guy.

Once Valerie arrived to sit on the children, Jenny and I hit the road, eagerly anticipating freezing our butts off in this exciting running event. It was -16C with a windchill of -26C. Brrr.

Highway 403 heading to Burlington
A Photo A Day #26

We were all geared up and ready to run ...

Ready to Run!!

We headed to the start line and hopped in place and were thankful to be in the middle of the pack (but nearer the front) because the warm bodies around us blocked the wind.

Until 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 ... AIR HORN!!! GO!!!

We were off to a great start. Chatting about last year's Robbie Burns race and how Michael was so great because he drove the Tahoe along the race route and played motivational music to pump us (and the other runners up). It was great.

What we didn't know was happening was this ...

Sneaking

We were being sneaked up upon. 

By who you ask?

By Michael.

Yes, that Michael ... 

My wonderful and romantically amazing husband surprised me big time. I guess on Wednesday he decided he needed to be home for my race, so he arranged getting off early with his boss and flying home three days early. The race sold out on December 3rd, 2013 so he contacted the race director directly telling him his plans to come and surprise me. The race director said it was too good a story to NOT let it happen and arranged a race bib for Michael.

All day yesterday Michael was sending me texts telling me how miserably sick he was (and had been for a few days) and that he had to go to bed early. 

HE LIED.

He was not sick and he was most definitely not going to bed early. HE WAS CATCHING A FLIGHT HOME. He arrived in Toronto at 1am and took a limo to a hotel in Burlington. This morning he took a cab to the race and then he waited. The race event is held at a high school in Burlington and everything race related happens on the main floor. He was hiding on the 2nd floor. SNEAKY SNEAKY.

So, back to the above picture of our bums ... that was around the 1km marker. He must have been really running fast because he crossed the start line (we found out later) a whole minute after us. He came up behind us and said "Think we need to pick up the pace here," I spun around shocked "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?" He has a video. It's hilarious and wonderful and every time he watches it his face lights up like a million candles. 

Me and Jenny

Chatting about something.

Seriously, it was the best surprise. He has outdone himself again. I know I'm bias but I have to say with all sincerity I honestly think I have the best husband ever. :)

Jenny, Michael and I running to the finish

My sweet hubby and I.

Team Awesome.
Michael, Jenny and I

I finished the race with a time of 47:59, one second before Jenny who ran it in 48 minutes flat, and Michael made up good time in that first kilometer because his chip time was 47:14. 

It was a kick ass day. My favourite race of all time. I knew starting out it was going to be fun, because Jenny and I always have a blast running together, but now it tops everything. When people ask me what my best most favourite race is I'm going to tell them this one. 

I'm still in shock.

Oh. And Valerie was in on it.

4 comments:

  1. That is SUCH a great story. Michael, you win HUBBY OF THE YEAR for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, this story made me tear up a bit. I'm glad there's still great couples like you two out there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad the surprise was a success! Great run!
    And the kids were fantastic!
    Hope puppers is still okay....

    ReplyDelete